Saturday, June 13, 2009

Great in the sight of the Lord

Luke 1:15 "He will be great in the sight of the Lord". What does that mean? Was John to be so different that he he was praised by God even before he started? Was this his "destiny" or direction? What does it imply about other people? Does it mean that others would maybe not be so great in the sight of God?

It is a question that I must ask of self as well. How great will I be? How not-great will I be? Do I settle for being mundane or is that truly just settling while God has other plans for me?

It is so easy to become distracted with activities of this life and forget that the ultimate judge of a life is from the perspective of the Lord. When all is said and done, my body "sleep in the church yard" as the old song says, what will be God's perspective of my life? How great will my efforts look at that moment measured by the Creator against the potential that he placed within me before I was born?

No comments: