Sunday, July 19, 2009

Watching...for what? Luke 6

"So they watched him closely". It seems like a good statement to be made about someone, i.e., they kept their eyes fixed on Jesus. Most of us would be proud to have that said about us. Yet, the statement was not a compliment.

The Pharisees watched him closely but they were looking for errors not guidance. They had their hearts set on validating themselves at all costs. So they watched him not to learn, not to grow but to accuse and pick apart.

Jesus, therefore, addressed their hearts. "Quit thinking superficially about the law and look at the real issues," translated very loosely. The issue was doing good or evil, to save or destroy. The issue was never splitting hairs to keep the letter of the law while ignoring the intent.

So how do I view Jesus? Why do I go to church? What lenses do I put on when I look at other Christians or their actions? Do I watch other to pick them apart or to join in the battle of good vs. evil?

Hopefully one day someone will say about me that I watched Jesus closely . . . and it will be a compliment.

No comments: