Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Luke 12:22-34: Little Things

Jesus called it a little thing. He asked, "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing . . ." Amazing. Adding an hour to my life is considered not only a little thing but a "very little thing" by Jesus.

How much time and effort do we as a society throw at health care? How much worry and constant monitoring of exercise, sleep and diet goes on? Yet, he calls it a "very little thing."

It sort of jogs our sense of priorities. His view is so different from mine. Yet, that seems to be the very point of the passage. I get stuck in this world and lose sight of the big picture. I care about one hour of life; he calls that very little. I worry about money for living; he says I have an entire kingdom coming so I should feel free to give it away now. I worry about my things wearing out; he says I have possessions coming that will never wear out.

Today, maybe for once, I can live with a different focus . . . an eternal one.

No comments: