Monday, March 7, 2011

Joshua 20; Intent

There is a bumper sticker that reads "God said it. I believe it. That settles it." I don't see it as often as I used to; maybe we have grown wiser. God doesn't have as black and white a vision as we like to project upon him. On the other hand, he does set law and expect compliance. Somewhere in-between black & white harshness and technicolor tolerance lies his perspective.

If a murder was accidental, refuge was to be afforded to the perpetrator. His case was handled differently than someone who murdered intentionally. The intent was the determining factor; the heart was the key. In the life of Jesus, both Peter and Judas wronged him. Peter and Judas, however, had different hearts and were treated differently.

This challenges our outlook. I used to think all prostitutes were bad people until I spent time in Bolivia and discovered that most of these young girls were sold into prostitution as children. They have no desire or intent to be there; they are enslaved. Likewise, society tells me that the homeless guy on the corner needs to quit being lazy and take a job. After visiting with some I discovered that their PTSD from defending this society in war prevented that.

Life happens to us all, whether good or bad. External appearances and quick judgments are not as reliable as we like to think. Proper understanding takes time and a willingness to admit gray zones exist. Maybe I'll print a bumper sticker that reads, "God said it. I believe it. Now tell me your story."

No comments: