Thursday, May 12, 2011

Acts 26; Anti-Messiah Living

"I am Jesus whom you are persecuting." I wonder what went through Paul's mind as he contemplated those words over and over. "Whom you are persecuting." Paul never thought he was persecuting the Messiah. On the contrary, as a Pharisee, he had vowed to defend Judaism in order to facilitate coming of the Messiah. He wanted to usher in the days of the new kingdom and facilitate the work of God on earth. Yet here he lay on a road surrounded by divine light and the voice of God asking "why are you persecuting me? Why are you working against me?"

I wonder what life would be like if God routinely did the same thing to us today. What if every time we had good intentions that were poorly applied a bright light would shine around us and God would ask out loud "why are you persecuting me right now?" It would happen when we put up signs on the highways that push people away from God with their religious phrases. Maybe a light would blast us when we protest with good-intentioned but hurtful placards in front of abortion clinics. Probably it would happen when I respond with a quick scripture quote to someone who really needs a listening ear.

Just like in Paul's day, I think the world is filled with people looking for the Messiah. They don't know him by that name, they don't know what he looks like and they don't know where to find him. He, however, is active in their lives and is trying to build a relationship with them. How hurt and frustrated he must feel when we knock him out of someone's life via our well-intentioned but very misguided attempt to serve him.

I doubt any lights will come on around me today but regardless of their absence I want to live in such a way that the gap between the Messiah and those seeking him is narrowed and not broadened. Simple concept; difficult application. Just ask Paul.

No comments: