Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Free Will

The past few weeks have been filled with travel but also with reading and study. I'm taking a break from my reading in John to focus on another question. For quite some time I have been bothered by Christians missing opportunities because they are waiting on God to show them the right answer. I've witnessed virtual paralysis in decision making in many cases. I've also watched many people be hurt as well intentioned Christians played the trump card of God-told-me. They have used it for everything from divorce to leaving church to moving to another city.

And so I'm spending time with the question of "How do I discern God's will for my life?" This has led to another question of "Does God even have a specific will for each person?" This had led to the question of "Is the future predetermined or do we have total free will?" This has led to questions about the nature of God.

It all started out as a simple question that has now grown into a huge cloud that shadows all of life. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

As a somewhat new found Christian(my faith is strong and weak from day to day) and a baptized Roman Catholic (which I put less emphasis on. Wasn't my choice so...) I tend to feel that the Lord has a certain way he talks to his children. I can feel it in my heart when he speaks.