Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Luke 15; Lost and Found

Two groups stood by Jesus that day -- the socially marginalized and those who had pursued God their entire life. Luke recorded three parables in series as Jesus' reaction to the attitude of the God-pursuing group. To record three in a row is highly significant; this was an issue dear to the heart of God. This was a core issue.

The ratio of lost to found is 1:99, 1:9, and 1:2 in these stories. Obviously Jesus is making the point that his great concern is the number of the lost. He calls them his sheep, his coins and his sons. How easily do I forget to look at the socially marginalized that way.

He concludes with a discussion with the son who was not lost. He represented those who had given their lives to pursue God. Somehow, however, he had missed the heart of God. The Father told him "everything I have is yours" and "we had to celebrate".

I pray that I will not lose sight of the blessings of being a "found" son. I pray that while living in the house of God, I will not miss the heart of God.

No comments: