Sunday, February 28, 2010

Luke 22:14-16; Excited

14-16When it was time, he sat down, all the apostles with him, and said, "You've no idea how much I have looked forward to eating this Passover meal with you before I enter my time of suffering. It's the last one I'll eat until we all eat it together in the kingdom of God."

I love how the translation of the Message reads here. "You have no idea how much I have looked forward . . . " Can you imagine Jesus feeling giddy with excitement? Imagine the creator of the world anxiously anticipating something. Did he visualize it over and over before it happened? Did it feel like the day would never come? The way a bride looks forward to her wedding day, the way a couple looks forward to a birth, the way an athlete looks forward to a high-level competition, Jesus looked forward to the night of the Passover.

That night, something that God started almost 1500 years earlier reached completion. When Moses and the people of Israel started the Passover, he could see the day when it would take on its true meaning. The day when Jesus would become the lamb for each of his children . . . and he was excited about it.

No comments: