Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Romans 10:1-3; Zeal only

1Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Israelites is that they may be saved. 2For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. 3Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness.

I look around me at the hundreds of university students I deal with and want to tweak that verse by simply substituting "millennial generation" for "Israelites". 1Brothers, my heart's desire and prayer to God for the Millennial Generation is that they may be saved. 2For I can testify about them that they are zealous for God, but their zeal is not based on knowledge. 3Since they did not know the righteousness that comes from God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God's righteousness.

Yet in all honesty, the same could be said of any generation; fortunately, the Millennials have a much better starting point than my own generation.

How often do we get excited for serving God in ways that really are more manifestations of our culture than his spirit? How easy to cloak humanitarian aid with spirituality and deceive ourselves about what drives us in our hearts. How many blind spots are there in our Christianity because we are zealous but not zealous and knowledgeable of God's wishes?

No comments: