Friday, July 2, 2010

Romans 9:1-18; Shaped by Mercy

Two thoughts seem to wrestle in my mind for preeminence when I read this section.

First, the question comes to me of "do I care this deeply for the people around me?" Paul was willing to be cursed so that others might know Christ. Do I feel the same? Do I have this depth of mercy and concern for others, especially others that I do not know personally? I stand convicted before the text.

Second, I'm back to the issue of working again. My right to stand justified before God and claim sonship is not based upon my effort or desire; my "being fit enough" to stand before God is totally a gift from him. What right do I have to pride? What right do I have to think that I have achieved anything?

So between those two thoughts, I start this day humbled. I am very blessed to be who I am and that should shape me into a man of mercy.

No comments: