Wednesday, June 15, 2011

John 4:1-42; No Vacations

I cannot read this without thinking of Tom. He was another veterinary student and we decided to read through the book of John together. Soon were in chapter four. After reading it outloud together, I asked Tom what he understood from the passage. He replied, "Its obvious; Christians don't take a vacation from evangelism." I was prepared for a response about Jesus crossing racial or sexual barriers, about Jesus' physical tiredness, about worship and a few other things. I was not prepared for "Christians don't take vacations from evangelism."

Tom went on to explain the "obvious" to me. Even though Jesus was tired he shared with the woman. The apostles obviously passed her on the way into town and then bumped into her again on the way back. That makes 24 missed opportunities. Jesus had one opportunity and, though he was exhausted, he made it count. So, Tom concluded that the story is to show us that "Christians don't take vacations from evangelism."

That was over 20 years ago and when I read John 4 I still have to say, "You're right, Tom. Thanks for pointing out the obvious."

No comments: