Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Luke 22:39-46; Close but only physically

Luke has a short garden scene. He does not present Jesus going back and forth three times. Rather he presents Jesus as perhaps more direct. His points seems to focus more on the exhaustion, stress and anguish. He speaks to his disciples before and after but not during his prayer time.

I wonder how much the apostles had understood by this point? They were exhausted with sorrow according to Luke. Yet their responses later indicated a lack of preparation. They were unable to pick up on what was going on in Jesus' life.

How easy it is to be close in proximity to someone and yet not pick up on what is going on in their life. How easy to get a little idea of their feelings but miss the bigger picture. How easy to be focused on self to the degree that we can't focus on others.

Today I pray that I am able to see and feel what is going on around me in the lives of others. I pray that I will not be so full of me that I can't be filled with the needs of others. I pray that others will not be suffering in the garden while I sleep.

No comments: