Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Luke 23:26-43; Cross Perspectives

Luke presents very little of the actual passion of Jesus. He does not focus on Jesus on the cross but rather on the reactions around. The women are in tears feeling sorry for Jesus while the rest of the crowd just watches. The rulers, soldiers and even a criminal all mock and insult him.

Yet Luke always shows us both sides. The women are taught by Jesus that this is not the worst that is to come; they need better vision. The crowd, soldiers and rulers get no response from Jesus; that will come with his resurrection. One criminal is rebuttaled by the other. The second is approved of Jesus and blessed.

Luke seems as concerned with perceptions as with the event. How the event is interpretted is critical. So how do I interpret the life and sacrifice of Jesus? Do I have spiritual myopia like the women and do not really understand? Do I stand with the crowd in silence, not taking action either way? Do I call myself educated or powerful and mock him in disdain? Am I a fool, outcast in one life and condemning myself for the next? Or do I really see who this man is and submit to him?

No comments: