Friday, March 26, 2010

Luke 22:63-71; The Answer

This entire exchange seems like a chess match to me. They ask if he is the Messiah, the promised one. He said they wouldn't believe him even if he spoke plainly; then he answered regarding another prophecy about the Son of Man. They counter with "Oh are you therefore claiming divinity?" He responded with a strong affirmation. They seemed relieved with "that's all we need to hear" type response.

In the exchanged Jesus spoke to their closed-mindedness and then they demonstrated it at the end. He also spoke to the fact that he was even more than they realized; they could not hear nor comprehend his words.

They were looking for one thing and one thing only. It concerns me to see this. I wonder how often I come to scripture looking for one answer which I already have formed in my mind and because of that miss God speaking to me? I also wonder how often I do that in daily conversation with the good people around me?

Today I will strive to really listen.

No comments: