Sunday, May 9, 2010

Romans 3:9-20; Not-good-enough

It sounds so harsh, this section which concludes that we are all under sin. We are all lumped together as losers, failures and not-good-enough. As I read through I asked myself, "Are we really that bad?"

Then it hit me. I am exactly the kind of person this was written for. When I start to view my self as "almost-good-enough" rather than "not-good-enough", I start to move away from God and focus upon myself. When I think that I have it all together spiritually, then I am not together with God.

I am exactly the person this was written to. A person who prefers to think that most of the time I can handle life and even excel. Yet, all it really takes is one crisis or sometimes just a bump in the road to reveal that this is not true.

Hence my need to look at a standard, i.e., the revealed will of God. And at the same time a clear explanation of why I, like so many others, often avoid looking at a standard at all.

No comments: