Monday, May 31, 2010

Romans 5:1-11; What drives me?

It seems that we as humans are motivated by different things. Wealth drives industry and Wall Street. Power is a driving force in areas like government, personal relationships, sports, and others. In the west it seems that sexual gratification either drives people or linked to the wealth and power. Others are driven by anger, fear, altruism or who knows what. Yet it seems safe to say that each of us is responds to our world out of our driving force. For Paul, that force was hope.

Hope of reconciliation and hope of an ongoing relationship with God gives us reason to rejoice in the good times and reason to endure in the bad. When put on trial by Jews and Gentiles alike, Paul defended himself saying he was on trial because of the hope of Israel.

When others look at me, I wonder what they conclude about the driving force in my life? Is it obvious that hope in a relationship with God motivates me or am I so North American that I don't stand out from anyone driven by money, sex or power? Is there so much fear or so much of the American dream in me that hope is not even a consideration when others try to figure me out?

No comments: