Thursday, June 10, 2010

Romans 6: 15-23; At the Alter

I had to read this section a few times; the slave imagery does not resonate with my experience. Probably that is to my detriment when it comes to fully understanding what God is saying here.

It seems that when we boil down any action in life, it either served good or evil. Every thought, every word serves to promote good or evil. I am not independent of the other forces in this universe. I am not autonomous and in control. Rather I am part of a great play whose movement I influence with my life. What autonomy I have comes only in choosing whom to serve. I get the privilege of offering myself to someone whether God or Satan.

To change my North American mindset and truly live out intentional choice in all I do will take effort. When I am angry at someone, the way I respond is an offering to good or evil. When I am depressed, the words that come out of my mouth are an offering to one or the other. When I am overjoyed, the way I show it is an offering to God or Satan.

My prayer is that when I finish this day and look back, I will find that I spent my day kneeling before the correct alter.

No comments: