Saturday, June 19, 2010

Romans 7:7-13;

The text seems to agree with the old adage "rules were made to be broken." It is amazing to us that when we find a door locked, our curiosity explodes wanting to know what is behind it. When the road marker tells us the speed limit, we set our cruise control three miles per hour faster than the indicated number. When we are told "you can't", we automatically ask "why?"

The question I ask myself is which moral line is it that I am most drawn towards? Paul used the example of covetousness; perhaps it was something which he personally dealt with. What would my example be? Perhaps I would have written the same. In our materialistic society, covetousness speaks loudly. Obviously it is a limit many of us are drawn to or the US consumerist culture would collapse. Yet I have to wonder what would be the top of my list. Pride. Anger. Negativism. Lack of respecting the image of God in all people. Perhaps I would have written about one of those.

The main issue has to be staying aware of the power of the attraction to the limits.

No comments: