Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Mark 10:1-12; Teacher

So many discussions about divorce have come from these verses; yet it is not the subject of divorce that catches my attention. What jumped out at me today was the phrase "as was his custom, he taught them." By nature, Jesus was a teacher. He came as the herald of a new kingdom. The text does not say, "as was his nature, he healed them or set up a hospital." That Jesus cared for the physical nature of humanity is undoubted; yet, his reputation was that of the teacher -- one who guided and instructed. When our world looks at the followers of Jesus today (more directly -- when people look at me), what do they see? How would the sentence end today? "As was his nature, Gary ________." If I am to walk in the steps of Jesus, it stands to reason that the word "taught" should fill the blank. What would our world look like if all Christians were known as those who were apt to teach about the spiritual kingdom of God?

With that mindset, I find the discussion with the Pharisees even more enlightening. As so many of us do, they came asking where is the line? Today's questions are similar. How far is too far on a date between singles? How much do I need to give in offerings? How frequently must I meet with other Christians? How many drinks can I take before its a sin? All are questions of legality and limit seeking. Jesus, the master teacher, did not engage in limit seeking. His response was to look at the heart of God; to call people back to the core principle of unity rather than delineate how far we can walk away from God and still be spiritually alive.

My prayer today is to stay focused upon the heart of God and teach it to others.

No comments: