Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mark 7:1-23; Modern Pharisees

So what would it be now? What would Jesus point to in our religious world and scoff at? What would Jesus not like about Christianity?

Would he be upset that the money that goes into enhancing the beauty of a church building or paying the electricity bill for a church building was money not spent on helping the poor? Would he be sad that expenditures on a youth group to have fun and build relationships was not an expenditure to feed and cloth someone? Would he be angry that the time spent in dedication to him is dwarfed by the time spent in sports? Would he shake his head that non-profit organizations often do more Christian service than churches? Would he be upset that the formality and unspoken rules associated with many churches prohibit the spiritually bankrupt from setting foot in the door?

It is so easy for us to look down on the Pharisees but I fear that I might be more inconsistent than they were. I fear that Jesus might look at my life and the lives of many around me and shake his head in disappointment.

I pray that he will open my eyes now rather than doing so on judgment day.

No comments: