Sunday, December 12, 2010

Mark 8:14-26; One More Time

I am so glad that the apostles often did not understand Jesus; it keeps me from feeling alone.

It is so easy to shake our heads at the apostles for missing the point and forgetting who Jesus was. Yet, I don't doubt that they look down at me now and shake their heads more. Jesus asked them about their short-term memory regarding two occasions. In my case, he could rip off a list of dozens.

"Don't you remember what happened when you prayed for your friend in high school? Don't you remember what happened when you prayed about not having children? Don't you remember what happened when you prayed for guidance about where to move, or when to return to the states, or which job to take, or how to lead different groups and individuals, don't you remember . . ?"

To make the point just a little more bluntly, the next thing Jesus did was heal a blind man. Interestingly, he healed him with a second touch. I know that I have already had a second touch and don't deserve another. My prayer is that I will not fall back into blindness but have clearer memory and that Jesus will not tire of touching me a second or third or . . . time.

No comments: