Friday, January 7, 2011

Mark 10:46-11:11; What the Blind Man Saw

If Bartimaeus wrote a journal, maybe it would read like this. . .

I woke up this morning and my friend helped me to my usual street corner where I could spend the day begging. It was so cold sitting on the ground but eventually the sun came up and I slid over into the light a little. It seemed like a normal day with almost everyone ignoring me as they passed. I called out but they did their best to act like they couldn't hear me. I could hear them with their condescending grunts and self-righteous sniffs.

Then chaos hit. A huge mob came bustling down the road; I feared I would be trampled at first. The pieces of chatter I picked up were all about the Messiah, a new kingdom, new teachings and miracles. Then it hit me that this must be that prophet that everyone says is the promised descendant of David who will restore Israel. I had heard that he could even give the dead life again. I knew it was my only chance and I started to shout to him. I assumed he had already passed by and so I shouted louder. The ones closest to me seemed annoyed. They threw harsh words my way telling me to shut up, act a little decently, respect the man's time and other things like that. But it was my only chance. Truly a once in my lifetime moment. I shifted from shouting to screaming with words. Then the mob slowed to a stop. Someone grabbed me by the arm and said "Come on; he wants to talk to you." I felt like I had been grabbed by a policeman but my excitement was off the charts. Then I heard his voice. Out of the confusion and darkness came soft, clear words. "What to you want me to do for you?" They were not condescending words. They did not feel like they came from someone in a hurry. I know there was a crowd around us but it felt like there was no one else on earth, just the gentle speaker of those words and me. I wanted to respond eloquently but all I could do was blurt out, "Teacher, I want to see." The next thing I knew there was a face in front of me. It was smiling at me with kind eyes that seemed to look into my heart. I will never forget that moment -- the first time I saw a human face and it was the face of God.

I joined the mob and we walked to Jerusalem. The whole city turned out as Jesus rode into town like a conquering king. Surely Israel was about to be restored. The excitement gave all of us an adrenaline rush. This was not only my moment but it was the nation's moment. And the leader of it all had stopped for me. What a day. What a man . . . Messiah . . . God. Wow.

No comments: