Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mark 12:38-44; Sit

Yesterday I drove my son's truck. The gas gauge indicated I would need to stop soon and the temperature gauge indicated that it would take a few minutes before the engine warmed up enough to run the heater. The gas and temperature gauges were not the reality, just indicators of reality. I had to interpret the information they gave me and draw conclusions about reality.

Jesus looked at the actions of the teachers of the law as they prayed and worked in the synagogues. He looked at the actions of a "little old lady" as well. From those external indicators, he interpreted their reality.

I wish I could glance at a person like I glance at the gas gauge in order to understand their reality. Maybe what is the most instructive to me are the two verbs about Jesus, i.e., "sat" and "watched". It is not easy to spend time watching the indicators. It is not easy to stay fully present in the moment. The desires for other achievements and the hurry-sickness of our society call for casting glances rather than sitting and watching. Yet how often does the Bible record Jesus sitting down with people? It happens throughout his life; it says something about his life in the present moment.

Today I will work to practice the discipline of sitting with people.

No comments: