Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mark 13; What We Do Know

A few years ago I had the chance to attend a synagogue in New York City. It was a very enjoyable and enlightening experience. After everyone had left, I was blessed to sit and visit with the rabbi. As we talked, I asked him questions about something I had been reading that dealt with the "end times". His response was wise. Rather than engage in the conversation he simply said, "Let's talk about what we do know rather than what we don't."

As Jesus talked to his disciples he gave them some insights into the future with a special focus upon Jerusalem. Since I don't live in Jerusalem and have to worry about fleeing from it, that section does not really grab me. Otherwise the primary message I seem to walk away with is A) there are major world events to come and B) I should be alert regarding my spiritual life so that I am prepared to testify about Jesus under any circumstance. That is what we do know.

It is popular to play with the conjecture and debate the future. It is much more difficult to accept the challenge and live prepared.

1 comment:

anatvivas said...

I like your note Gary... I just discovered your blog today... está muy bueno vale... muchos besitos.

Es verdad, es mejor enfocarse en lo que puedo hacer por Jesus hoy, que invertir tanto tiempo tratando de averiguar que va a pasar más adelante, sea pronto o no... :)