Sunday, September 26, 2010

Philippians 2:1-4; Self or Not

I work in a Christian university where it seems that we live and promote a paradox. We teach courses on persuasion and brag about successful graduates where success is defined by position and status. We never have a chapel speaker that is a construction worker or day laborer who is held up for his unselfish life. Our publications on the web look like those of other UnChristian universities. We often are more inclined towards the word "university" than the word "Christian."

Yet I have to ask if I am any different. I struggle to look beyond the superficial, i.e., the looks, the finances, the pretense. I have been programmed to admire achievement, to praise someone for "pulling herself up", to smile about success. So the real issue here is my belief. Do I believe that the way I should be programmed by God is better than the programming I receive from society? Do I believe that a life without selfishness will be worth living? Can I be successful without self-promotion? Can I substitute other-promotion for self-promotion? Can I bring myself to believe that I will be as fulfilled and happy by service as by being served? Do I believe Jesus knew what he was talking about when he called me to serve rather than be served? Or will I just keep mindlessly living the American dream while professing different norms?

No comments: