Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Joshua 1:1-9; Spirit or Word?

Lately I have spent a lot of time reading and debating with myself over decision-making and the will of God. Does God speak to everyone? Anyone? Does he guide by opening and closing doors? Does he guide by his Word or by his Spirit? Since that is in my mind, it jumps off the page to me that God spoke of both his word and his presence in leading Joshua. Here it is obviously not one or the other but both. Joshua was strictly told to study and keep the word of God; his confidence and boldness, however, was to come from the presence of God. It seems to be more of a "both / and" rather than "either / or" situation.

Culture seems to influence us more than we like to admit. The present norm on our college campuses seems to be a fear of anything that looks institutional and an embrace of anything that looks mystic. Hence, it is much more en vogue to talk about relying on the spirit of God rather than spend time reading and meditating on the written word. It is also a lot less work to wait on a sign from God rather than seek wisdom. Yet, Joshua received a direct revelation from God that told him to pursue one and trust the other. He was not told "just trust me" nor was he told "just follow this." Both aspects were critical to his success in life.

I think all of us are not only influenced by our society but by our personal tendencies to lean towards one side or the other. The key seems to be to diagnose which way I am leaning and force myself to return to a balance of the two.

No comments: