Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Joshua 9: Keep It

They blew it once but they would not blow it twice. The leaders failed to check with God but pledged to not fail in representing him later.

The fact that verse fourteen says they failed to inquire of the Lord indicates that God was wanting to communicate. God saw the deception and would have kept them out of trouble; but they failed to ask. How many times does that scenario play out today? How often is God leaning forward on the edge of his chair to give direction about relationships, major decisions and life but we never give him the chance to talk? Then later we wonder "where is God" and "how could he let this happen to me?" God probably responds, "where were you" and "how could you not ask me?"

Perhaps more impressive to me is that they refused to nullify the contract. How many of us would say that the conditions of the contract were violated and therefore we do not need to respect it? Again, how many times do we let that play out in life today? My spouse stopped treating me the same, my business partner lied and my roommate changed, so I'm out of all obligations I agreed to. Or maybe in the mundane daily things it shows up even more, i.e., refusing to meet an agreed upon deadline or not doing a favor for a friend once the conditions of work or relationships change.

There are a lot of things in the world that I can't change. In the US, Christians divorce and cheat on their taxes as often as the next guy. Anytime I don't keep a simple promise I contribute to that ugly perception. But despite the bad decisions of anyone around me, I don't have to fail that way. Yes is yes; no is no. Anything else represents Evil and not God.

Psalm 15. "Who may live on your holy mountain? . . He who keeps his oath even when it hurts."

No comments: