Monday, February 21, 2011

Joshua 7; Successful Failure

Israel experienced total failure. All of us have at some time as well; we know what it feels like to fail. It feels like your "heart melts and turns to water". But the perspectives here are enlightening.

While Israel was mourning its loss, Joshua and the leaders spent time before God. Eventually Joshua was able to ask a different question than before. He was able to ask questions from the perspective of God's honor. Basically, "if we die, what will that do for your reputation?" It was not until Joshua was able to look through God's eyes considering God's purpose that an answer was given. The answer was that the problem was not a military defeat but rather lying, stealing and covetousness. The problem was at the heart level, not the action level.

When Achan was singled out, Joshua made an amazing statement. “My son, give glory to the LORD, the God of Israel, and honor him. Tell me what you have done; do not hide it from me.” The confession served to reveal that God was not weak; it was not God's fault that they lost.

In life we will experience failure, either personally (relationships, work) and / or socially (poverty, crime). But through whose eyes will we sit it? Am I so wrapped up in me that all I can think about is why did I fail? Or am I dedicated enough to God that I consider how does this affect him? Do I see social issues like poverty and war as a series of principles gone awry or a heart problem? Do I learn anything spiritually from failure or simply lose courage? Am I so egocentric that even in failure I fail to think about God? God used failure to refine Israel's heart; when they asked questions that put him first, their failure became a blessing.

Since God can use failure to teach and grow his people, then if I don't look at failure asking the right questions, I fail again. Without the right perspective, I fail at failure.

No comments: